Cátia Kossovsky, Esq. owns Kossovsky Law PLLC, a boutique law firm focused on assisting cannabusiness clients with corporate, business, financing, securities laws and regulations compliance.
Cátia has more than fifteen years of corporate transactional experience. Having worked at two AM200 law firms, in New York and in Pittsburgh, she handled general corporate law, commercial transactions, mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, private equity (including fund formation), venture capital financing, regulatory compliance, and securities filings. Additionally, Cátia has experience with cross‐border transactions, specifically with a focus on Latin America, and has conducted corporate governance, compliance monitoring, and management of operational risk.
Cátia is the Chair of Allegheny County Bar Association’s Medical Marijuana and Hemp Committee. She is an avid speaker and writer in cannabis law and regulation.
Cátia is fluent in Portuguese and Spanish.
2000 J.D., St. John’s University School of Law
1996 B.B.A., Baruch College, Accounting
Some of Cátia’s experience includes:
- Representing middle-market clients in a wide range of complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private securities offerings, private equity fund formation, portfolio acquisition and divestitures, monitoring and advising regulatory compliance, including SEC exemptions.
- Representation of W.P. Carey, the largest owner/manager of net-leased assets (sales-leaseback) with an investment portfolio of approximately $14 billion. Representation of publicly traded REIT in U.S. in a $4.1 billion merger.
- Representation of Toyota Motor Credit Corporation, the third largest captive finance company, and the seventh largest finance company in the United States, in commercial real estate lending.
- Representation of Total Music, a joint venture between Universal Music Group and Sony BMG in the acquisition of Ruckus Network, a music download service.
- U.S. counsel representing Bertelsmann in the worldwide sale of its music publishing business to Universal Music Publishing, Inc for €1.63 billion (U.S. $2.09 billion). The sale of the U.S. division totaled €647,319,000 (U.S. $850 million).
- Representation of GKM, a large Fund of Funds in negotiating and obtaining limited partnership investments in numerous private equity funds. Responsible for reviewing numerous PPMs and LP Agreements, advised GKM on investment risks and issues, negotiated side letters.
Cátia has also previously worked with:
- 2014 Tucker Arensberg (Pittsburgh)
- 2010 Reed Smith (Pittsburgh)
- 2006 Loeb & Loeb LLP (New York)
- 2000 TCW/Latin America Partners, LLC (New York)
Marijuana Business, Securities/Corporate Counsel, Mergers and Acquisitions, State/Local Regulatory Licensing and Compliance, International Law