Colorado has been at the forefront of regulating cannabis and hemp products. After initially regulating medical marijuana, the state now has robust regulatory programs for medical marijuana, recreational (or retail) marijuana, and hemp. Serving as an example to other new marijuana regulatory systems, Colorado’s laws, rules, and regulations have been ever-changing. Not only businesses, but government agencies and other entities tasked with policy-making and enforcement, too, must keep up as the industry grows, new challenges arise, and the need for resourceful solutions evolves.
Attorneys Can Assist Government and Policy Makers
Government entities responsible for implanting new laws, rules, and/or regulations in cannabis and/or hemp often face the daunting task of creating from scratch a system that will meet all of their constituents’ unique needs. If a regulatory system is to be successful, it needs to address, in a balanced way, just some of the following concerns:
- Licensing and certification processes;
- Profitability incentives for new businesses in these industries; Consumer safety requirements like packaging, labelling, and testing;
- Effective, but not discouraging, enforcement methods;
- Ways to update and amend laws, rules, and regulations as the industry evolves;
- Public or social consumption allowances or restrictions;
- Distinguishing, if needed, between medical and recreational (retail) marijuana;
- Providing support and resources to ensure the viability of these new industries;
- Ensuring cohesiveness and avoiding confusion between national, state, local, and/or other applicable laws, rules, and regulations; and
- Establishing a system that is possible for industry actors to comply with.
Whether in the conception, creation, implementation, enforcement, evolution, or any other stage of governing a regulated medical marijuana, recreational (retail) marijuana, and/or hemp program, there are experts available to guide policy and consult in all of these areas.
Contact us today for government and policy consulting based on our international experience with regulated medical marijuana programs, regulated recreational (retail) marijuana programs, and/or regulated hemp programs.
Based in Denver, Colorado, Hoban Law Group has developed an expertise in these areas through in-depth participation in the state’s implementation and evolution of its medical marijuana, recreational (retail) marijuana, and hemp regulatory systems. Put our extensive experience to work for you by calling us at 303-674-7000.