Robert T. Hoban
Bob Hoban is an AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney and seasoned full-service commercial practitioner. Bob is also Principal and Owner at Solana Business Solutions, which offers comprehensive consulting, management, regulatory, and product solutions services for the entire commercial cannabis industry – serving both THC, CBD and hemp business models.
In 2016, Bob was selected as a member of the Boulder Colorado inaugural Marijuana Policy Advisory Committee and asked to serve on the Colorado Department of Agriculture's Industrial Hemp Advisory Committee. Former President of the Cannabis Business Alliance, Bob was also a member of the Colorado Medical Marijuana Enforcement Division Rules Committee and is currently a member of the National Hemp Association, National Cannabis Industry Association and Colorado Cannabis Chamber of Commerce. In addition, Bob was involved as a drafter of Colorado’s marijuana regulatory legislation and has drafted over 30 bills for the Colorado General Assembly.
Bob is a professor at the University of Denver in the Law and Society Program and regularly instructs regarding cannabis and hemp related legal and policy topics. He also teaches government regulations, public policy and research-based policy courses. In 2014, Bob led a University-sanctioned research practicum concerning the efficacy of marijuana regulation; the first of its kind in the U.S. This course resulted in a publication entitled "Sprung from Night into the Sun: An Examination of Colorado’s Marijuana Regulatory Framework," published in the December, 2015 edition of the Kentucky Journal of Equine, Agriculture, & Natural Resources Law.
In August 2015, he taught an international travel course in Uruguay concerning that country's landmark cannabis regulatory framework [http://kdvr.com/2015/12/10/
Upon graduating law school, Bob was chosen to serve his first judicial clerkship with the Honorable Jack W. Berryhill in Colorado’s First Judicial District, and became intimately familiar with Colorado State trial court system.
From 2002-2003, Bob was selected to clerk in the United States District Court for the District of Wyoming.
In 2006, Bob was honored as the George Holley Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year by the First Judicial District.
Since 2010, Bob has been rated as “Superb” by Avvo.com, an online legal directory of lawyers licensed in the United States.
Since 2013, Bob has been rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell, a peer review rating that is an outstanding achievement and demonstrates that a lawyer has earned the highest rating available for their legal ability and professional ethics.
- Bob was born and raised in southern New Jersey and attended Rutgers University, where he obtained a B.S. in Administration of Justice and Political Science. Bob moved west to attend law school at the University of Wyoming and to pursue his interests in mountain-biking and backpacking.
- Bob is active in Jefferson County and his chosen hometown of Evergreen.
- He is the Awards Committee Chairman for the First Judicial District Bar Association.
- Bob serves as a Member of the Colorado Trail Foundation Board of Directors.
- Previously, Bob served as a Trustee with the First Judicial District Bar Association, and as a member of the Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors.
- From 2006-2008, Bob was a Board Member of the Evergreen Jazz Festival.
- From 2000-2012, Bob served as a high school, collegiate and professional basketball official. He presently coaches middle school basketball.
- He works with various high schools as both a judge and a coach through student annual mock trial competitions.
- Bob is married to Sandy Hoban and they have two children, Fletcher and Cassidy.
Like all Hoban Law Group attorneys, Bob is actively committed to serving the needs of the disadvantaged; annually devoting at least 10 percent of his practice to pro-bono representation, where he represents clients who would otherwise not be able to afford legal services.
- Cornerstone Group XXII, L.L.C. v. Wheat Ridge Urban Renewal, — P.3d —-, WL 2291146 (Colo. App.)
- Whalen v. Shepler, 104 P.3d 243, 244 (Colo.App. 2004)
- Jack Akin and Carole Stepe v. Four Corners Encampment, et al., — P.3d —-, 2007 WL 1150450 (Colo.App. 2007), Court of Appeals No.: 05CA1228.
- June, 2016: "Sprung From Night Into The Sun: An Examination of Colorado's Marijuana Regulatory Framework Since Legalization," Kentucky Journal for Equine, Agricultural and Natural Resources, Volume 8, Issue No. 2
- March, 2016: "The Health Care Industry Cannot Continue to Ignore Medicinal Cannabis," Hoban & Feola, LLC White paper
- February, 2016: "CBD: Is There a Chill in the Air (Marketplace)?" Hoban & Feola, LLC White Paper
- November, 2011: "Colorado's Emerging Medical Marijuana Legal Framework and Constitutional Rights," The Colorado Lawyer, Volue 40, Issue No. 11
- The State of Marijuana 2016 Onboard the Queen Mary – Long Beach, CA – September, 2016 – “Once It’s Legal, I’m getting Into the Business” - Presenter
- Hemp Industries Association Conference – Denver, CO – September, 2016
- Cannabis World Congress and Business Expo – Los Angeles, CA – September, 2016
- City of Boulder, Colorado Chamber of Commerce – August, 2016 – “Cannabis in the Workplace”
- NCIA Cannabis Business Summit – Oakland, CA – June, 2016 – “Starting and Operating a Successful Medical Cannabis Dispensary, Cultivation or Infused Products Company” - Seminar
- International Cannabis Association World Congress and Business Expo – NYC – June, 2016
- Viridian Cannabis Investment Series – Fort Lauderdale, FL – Sponsor - June, 2016
- MJ Biz Daily Conference, Orlando, FL – Featured Presenter – “The Status of CBD: Demand, Preferences & Possibilities” – May, 2016
- NoCo Hemp Expo – Moderator and Presenter – “Solving the Seed Puzzle,” “Policy, Law and Banking,” “Let’s Talk Hemp” – April, 2016
- National Hemp Association Hemp Law Forum, Denver – Moderator and Speaker – March, 2016
- Hoban & Feola Client Networking Event, Denver – Moderator – February, 2016
- Colorado Bar Association CLE – Featured Presenter – “Land-use and Environmental Issues of Marijuana” - Vail, Colorado - January 2016
- CPA Academy Webinars – “The Marijuana Industry: What Accountants Need to Know,” “Organizational Forms for Growers and Dispensaries,” “Real Estate for the Marijuana Industry” – Multiple presentations during 2015
- Marijuana in Colorado: Advanced Tax, Legal and Accounting Considerations – Denver, Colorado -December, 2015
- Women Grow Denver Chapter Meeting – “Cannabis for PTSD” – November 2015
- Bloomberg BNA Conference on Marijuana in Colorado – “Marijuana in Colorado: Advanced Tax, Legal and Accounting Considerations,” – November 2015
- Medical Cannabis Summit – New York, NY - Featured Presenter - “Top Ten Issues for the Cannabis Investor” - October 2015
- Southwest Cannabis Conference and Expo, Phoenix, AZ – Moderator and Speaker – October, 2015
- National Cannabis Industry Association Conference, NYC – Panelist and Speaker – “Financing Your Marijuana Business,” “Corporate Governance” – September, 2015
- Los Angeles Cannabis Congress – Speaker, “Hemp” - September, 2015
- Hoban & Feola Client Regulatory Form, Denver – August, 2015
- Pagosa Verde Renewable Energy Symposium - Featured Presenter concerning Hemp 101 - Legal Landscapes - August, 2015
- National Cannabis Chamber of Commerce Indo Expo, Denver – “Hemp Movement,” – July, 2015
- Rocky Mountain Hemp Association Hemp Law Form, Denver – Moderator and Speaker, “The Murky Legality of Hemp” – July, 2015
- National Cannabis Industry Association Conference, Chicago – Featured Speaker – June, 2015
- World Cannabis Congress Conference, NYC – Featured Speaker – June, 2015
- CannaCosta Conference, Costa Rica – Featured Panelist and Speaker – June, 2015
- Chicago Cannabis Expo – Featured Speaker - May, 2015
- Tom Martino Troubleshooter Radio Show – Featured Guest re: MJ in Colorado – April, 2015
- Foxmoor Continuing Education Cannabis Summit – Featured Presenter concerning licensing and real estate as they relate to the marijuana industry in Colorado – March, 2015
- Young Professionals Organization – Guest Speaker – January, 2015
- Supply Side West Conference—Industrial Hemp Summit (CBD)—Panelist—Las Vegas, NV—October, 2014
- Colorado Chapter of the Appraisal Institute - Featured Presenter concerning regulatory takings and the emerging marijuana industry in Colorado - August, 2014
- Pagosa Verde Renewable Energy Symposium - Featured Presenter concerning The Cannabis Question - Legal Landscapes - August, 2014
- CLE International Eminent Domain Annual Conference – Featured Presenter concerning marijuana and regulatory takings – August, 2013
- The Politics of Medical Marijuana – Denver University –2012
- Marijuana at the Crossroads – University of Denver Sturm College of Law – 2012
- Marijuana in the workplace – Denver University – MLA Program – 2011
2010 and Prior
- Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure – First Judicial District Bar Association CLE – 2010
- The Business of Marijuana – CLE – 2010
- Marijuana: Leases and Business Structure – CWA/WJEC – 2010
- Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure –1st J.D. Bar Association – Featured Presenter – December 2009
- Colorado No Till Convention – Eminent Domain and Agriculture – 2008, 2009
- Colorado Property Rights Coalition – Land Use Law in Colorado – 2007, 2008
- Eminent Domain Conference – CLE International – Featured Presenter – August 2006
- Real Estate Development Conference – CLE International – Faculty/Lecturer – April 2006
- Eminent Domain Conference – Lecturer/Faculty – November 2006
- Colorado Dairy Farmers Association – Land Use/Eminent Domain – December 2006
- Real Estate Development Conference – CLE International – Faculty/Lecturer – May 2005
AVVO Lawyer Listing/Rating:
Bob has achieved a “superb” rating by Avvo.com