Kevin H. Fortin is a patent attorney and business advisor focused on the cannabis industry. Over the last ten years, he has helped others in building IP portfolios, branding, and licensing. Licensing trademarks and non-core technologies can be done in a strategic way to provide additional revenue streams and reach other strategic goals. Specialized skill in drafting and filing patent applications for cannabis-related inventions and processes.
Prior experience includes experience at one of the largest patent firms in the US and 6 years with a multinational corporation involved in patent licensing:
- Managing various assertion projects for various divisions and business units within a multinational organization.
- Assessing risk and liability issues, discussing strategy with business leaders, negotiating agreements, and executing tactics including technical defenses, strategic alliances, business solutions, and litigation-based solutions.
- Supporting sales transactions. Reviewing and drafting commercial contracts focusing on risk allocation and indemnification issues with suppliers.
- A leader in the west coast licensing group in one of the largest patent licensing programs in the world. Licensed pooled patents developed by Philips, Sony, Pioneer, LG Electronics, and HP. Developed best practices for licensing and enforcement, sharing such practices worldwide with colleagues in Europe and Asia.
- Managing licensing programs in the U.S. providing strategic and tactical guidance for a worldwide team of 60 licensing professionals, heading licensing negotiations with companies having headquarters in the U.S., Germany, Japan, China, and Taiwan. Succeeded in closing over 30 patent licensing deals, including deals valued upwards of $30M.
- Supervising investigators, auditors, and outside counsel respecting licensing, breach of contract, and patent infringement litigation matters, concluding more than 10 breach of contract litigations, 6 royalty audits, and several patent infringement litigations.
- Presenting numerous licensing education programs to retail merchandising executives, managers, and groups of retail buyers, using diplomatic influencing skills to convince the top 7 big box US electronics retailers to purchase products through licensed channels.
- University of San Diego, School of Law
- California State Bar
- Registered Patent Attorney
Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY BS Mechanical Engineering