Heidi Mehaffey has an extensive background as an environmental and land use attorney.
Heidi Mehaffey focuses on regulatory compliance with state and federal laws as well as the preservation of agricultural, rural, and environmentally sensitive areas. She transitioned into cannabis law to further the therapeutic, agricultural, conservation of resources, and land use benefits of legalized cannabis and hemp. Heidi is licensed to practice law in Colorado, Florida, and North Carolina.
Heidi has extensive experience working with local, state, and federal government agencies on regulatory compliance issues, whether a cannabis client is looking to cultivate, market, and/or distribute cannabis into the commerce stream. Cannabusiness can also encompass many other areas of law that Heidi is proficient in, such as corporate formation, compliance with employment laws and the Americans with Disabilities Act, compliance with consumer protection laws and ever-evolving state and federal product labeling regulations, as well as working with clients and local, state, and federal agencies to find beneficial resolutions if an issue arises.
Heidi lives in Plantation, Florida with her husband, Bryan, their two Great Danes, and three talkative parrots. Heidi enjoys presenting educational seminars on animal, environmental, and cannabis law to a wide variety of audiences from elementary and law school students to legal professionals.
- Americans with Disabilities Act Representation
- Business and non-profit formations
- Cannabis industry advocacy through comment letters and discussions with state and federal regulatory agencies
- Guidance on state and federal cannabis regulations
- Registration of cannabis companies with state regulatory agencies for lawful sale of cannabis products within
- state jurisdiction
- Representation of cannabis clients engaged in administrative action and successful recovery of hemp products
- seized by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol
- Representation of cannabis clients engaged in administrative actions with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- 2015 J.D.Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) Magna Cum Laude, Ranked # 1 in Class
- 2011 B.A. Nova Southeastern University (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) Major in Legal Studies, Minor in Psychology
- State Admissions: Colorado, Florida, and North Carolina
- Federal Admissions: United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida