A nationally recognized attorney, Garrett Graff specializes in the representation of both the marijuana and industrial hemp industries. Garrett’s practice involves corporate and M&A, real estate, regulatory/compliance, FDA/FTC compliance, intellectual property protection, and civil and commercial litigation. Garrett regularly counsels clients regarding corporate formation and structuring, M&A and business and real property assets, various corporate agreements, regulatory compliance as well as resolving and/or litigating commercial disputes.
Related to marijuana businesses, Garrett represents numerous companies on matters including licensure, successfully obtaining licenses in numerous states in both competitive and non-competitive licensure processes. He also assists clients in general corporate matters, protecting intellectual property, establishing partnerships and joint ventures, and expanding clients’ footprints across multiple states and/or countries, along with regulatory compliance matters.
As to industrial hemp businesses, Garrett represents companies across the country and world on matters including import/export, cultivation, processing and manufacturing, distribution, and navigating legislative and regulatory frameworks such as FDA regulation. He frequently works with federal, state, and local authorities on policy and enforcement matters. Notably, Garrett represented hemp industry stakeholders against the DEA, before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, in confirming the Farm Bill’s hemp provisions pre-empt DEA authority and the CSA. He also regularly works with stakeholders in drafting model legislative and regulatory policy. Garrett also serves on the board of the Colorado chapter of the Hemp Industries Association.
Garrett has testified in judicial proceedings related to hemp regulatory matters and frequently speaks in many forums — conferences, symposiums, and other events — regarding various issues concerning marijuana and industrial hemp law.
- Represent numerous publicly traded companies, multi-national corporations, and multi-state operators as outside general counsel concerning corporate structuring, capital raising, M&A and regulatory counsel
- Represented Colorado-based dispensary chain in the sale of assets exceeding $100 million;
- Represented publicly-traded company in the strategic deployment of over $300 million of assets in the cannabis industry, including advisement corporate, strategic and regulatory considerations;
JD, Thomas Kline School of Law, Drexel University (2014)
B.S Business Administration (2011)
Colorado Hemp Industries Association – Board Member
Industry Recognition & Awards
- National Law Journal – 2018 Cannabis Law Trailblazer
- Appointment to various Colorado rulemaking boards, including Colorado’s CHAMP state hemp plan initiative
- Solicited to present to USDA and FDA concerning rulemaking, and related corporate and strategic implications to industry operators