David Kotler, a former Miami-Dade County prosecutor, and supervisor has been Of Counsel to Hoban Law Group since the inception of its’ national cannabis practice. Well respected by his clients and peers, Mr. Kotler, over his 20 years of practice, has had a diverse legal portfolio that spans from litigation to risk management and pro-active investigations. Most recently, Mr. Kotler is a well-accomplished attorney practicing in the cannabis and hemp legal sector. Forming Medical Marijuana Business Lawyers LLC, a practice of Cohen Kotler, in 2014, Mr. Kotler was one of the first attorneys in Florida to undertake representation of clients hoping to operate in Florida under the Florida Compassionate Medical Cannabis Act of 2014. He has an impressive range of experience in the cannabis industry which includes license applications for start-ups in over 10 states and Zimbabwe, cross-border licensing agreements, special use permit assistance, standard operating procedures, and regulatory matters. He has written a monthly column for the Cannabis Industry Journal and is a contributor to Cannabis News Florida among other publications.
- Blunts and Moore – Oakland, California
Co-Founder, Member of the first social equity applicant to become operational in the U.S.
- Solurge, Holyoke – Massachusetts
Co-Founder and Chief Compliance Officer, Provisional RMD for Cultivation, Processing, and Retail
- Maleza Hem – Zimbabwe, Africa
License Holder for Medical Cannabis and CBD Export –Obtained 1 of 37 licenses issued by the country after presentation to Cabinet Level Ministers
- The Bract House – Sonora, California
Medical Retail – Member (Pilot program, 1 of 2 licenses awarded by the city for medical retail use, SUP issued, pending build-out and state licensure)
- Lake Life Farms – Michigan
Owner’s consultant from initial market analysis through licensing, including the development of 30,000 sq. foot ground-up building and retail locations with consideration given to all necessary components to operate.
- Widener University School of Law, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Juris Doctor (May 1997)
Significant Activities: Competitor, ABA National Criminal Justice Trial Competition, John Marshall Law School; Finalist-1996 Fall Trial Competition; President, Criminal Law Society; Inducted into Trial Advocacy Honor Society
- 2005. Supreme Court of the United States
- 2001. United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- 2001. United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- 1997. Florida Bar
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell
- Superb Rating – Perfect 10, Avvo.com
- 2009 Rising Stars, Florida Super Lawyers
- Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania, B.A. School of Government and Law (May 1994)
- Overseas Study: University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia (Fall 1993)
- In 2019, Mr. Kotler was appointed by Agriculture Commissioner Nicki Fried to Florida’s first Medical Cannabis Advisory Committee.