Robert T. Hoban
Bob Hoban is the Managing Partner at Hoban Law Group, the nation's premier cannabusiness law firm, with attorneys in over a dozen states and abroad. Bob is recognized as one of the leading commercial cannabis practitioners nationwide; representing private and publicly-held clients in numerous states and abroad. He has litigated nearly every aspect of Colorado’s Marijuana Code and has closed over 300 marijuana-related business transactions. Marijuana and hemp-based business operations, related litigation and regulatory counsel are a specialty. He is an AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney and seasoned full-service commercial practitioner.
Bob is formerly a professor at the University of Denver, in the Law and Society Program, and regularly instructs regarding government regulations, public policy, and research-based policy courses. Furthermore, Bob has drafted more than 30 bills for the Colorado General Assembly (eminent domain/land use, hemp/marijuana and transportation).
In 2006, Bob was awarded the George Holley Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year. Since 2010, Bob has been rated as “Superb” by Avvo.com. Since 2013, Bob has been rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbard.
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO, GRADUATE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS, Ph.D., ABD, 2007
- UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING, COLLEGE OF LAW, JD, 2001
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY, BS, 1997
- HOBAN LAW GROUP: 2009-Present, Denver, Colorado, Managing Partner.
- MARTIN, LUBITZ AND HYMAN, LLC: 2008-2009, Denver, Colorado, Of Counsel.
- FRANK & FINGER, P.C.: 2006-2008, Evergreen, Colorado, Partner.
- HALE FRIESEN, LLP: 2003-2006, Denver, Colorado, Associate Attorney.
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT (Hon. W. Beaman): 2002, Law Clerk.
- COLORADO DISTRICT COURT (Hon. J. Berryhill): 2001, Law Clerk.
PROFESSIONAL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER: 2015-2017, Denver, CO, Adjunct Professor/Lecturer. Political Science/Law & Society
- LARAMIE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE: 1999-2001, Laramie/Cheyenne, WY, Adjunct Professor/Lecturer. Business Law, Administration of Justice.
- PANEL MEMBER: Colorado Department of Revenue, Rules Committee; City of Denver, Excise and Licensing Advisory Committee; Colorado Bar Association, Eminent Domain Committee.
SPEAKING APPEARANCES AND ENGAGEMENTS
- The Marijuana Show Season 3 – Amazon Prime Network – Mentor – Airing in 2018
- National Cannabis Bar Association – Webinar – January, 2018 - “Let’s Make a Federal Case of It – HIA vs. DEA”
- National Association of Cannabis Businesses Conference – Washington, D.C. – January, 2018 – “M&A for the Cannabis Industry”
- Aspen High Conference – Aspen, CO – December, 2017 – “Legal Landscape for Music and Cannabis”
- NORML Legal Conference – Key West, FL – December, 2017 – “Cannabis Business Law 101 for Lawyers”
- MJ Biz Daily Conference – Las Vegas, NV – November, 2017 – “Investing in Hemp and Expert Q&A Panel”
- West420 Weekly – Denver, CO – October, 2017 – “CBD for Opiate Addiction”
- New West Summit – Oakland, CA – October, 2017 – “International Cannabis Growth”
- Supply Side West – Las Vegas, NV – September, 2017 – “The State of CBD in Dietary Supplements”
- Cannabis Business Executive Conference – Denver, CO - September, 2017 – “M&A Activity and 10 Tips for Securing Investment”
- Cannabis World Congress and Business Exposition – Los Angeles, CA – September, 2017 – “Hemp MBA in a Day,” pre-conference workshop
- National Cannabis Industry Association – Oakland, CA - June, 2017 – “Owning and Operating a Successful Marijuana Business,” pre-conference workshop
- Cannabis World Congress and Business Exposition – New York, NY – June, 2017 – “Hemp MBA in a Day,” pre-conference workshop
- Colorado Cannabis Legal Committee – April, 2017 – Presenter on “Hemp 101” for monthly bar meeting
- NoCo Hemp Expo – Loveland, CO – March, 2017 – Keynote speaker on “Trump, Sessions and the Future of the Cannabis Industry”
- California Receivers Forum – Costa Mesa, CA – March, 2017 – Cannabis Receivership panel
- Texas A&M Law School Conference – Dallas, TX – February, 2017 – “Cannabis 101 for Investors” speaker
- Cultivated Synergy – Denver, CO – February, 2017 – “Expand Your National Brand”
- 2017 National Continuing Legal Education Conference – Snowmass, CO – January, 2017- “Cannabis/Hemp Law 101: What Legal Practitioners Need to Know”
- The State of Marijuana 2016 Onboard the Queen Mary – Long Beach, CA – September, 2016 – “Once It’s Legal, I’m getting Into the Business” - Presenter
- Hemp Industries Association Conference – Denver, CO – September, 2016
- Cannabis World Congress and Business Expo – Los Angeles, CA – September, 2016
- City of Boulder, Colorado Chamber of Commerce – August, 2016 – “Cannabis in the Workplace”
- NCIA Cannabis Business Summit – Oakland, CA – June, 2016 – “Starting and Operating a Successful Medical Cannabis Dispensary, Cultivation or Infused Products Company” - Seminar
- International Cannabis Association World Congress and Business Expo – NYC – June, 2016
- Viridian Cannabis Investment Series – Fort Lauderdale, FL – Sponsor - June, 2016
- MJ Biz Daily Conference, Orlando, FL – Featured Presenter – “The Status of CBD: Demand, Preferences & Possibilities” – May, 2016
- NoCo Hemp Expo – Moderator and Presenter – “Solving the Seed Puzzle,” “Policy, Law and Banking,” “Let’s Talk Hemp” – April, 2016
- National Hemp Association Hemp Law Forum, Denver – Moderator and Speaker – March, 2016
- Hoban Law Group Client Networking Event, Denver – Moderator – February, 2016
- Colorado Bar Association CLE – Featured Presenter – “Land-use and Environmental Issues of Marijuana” - Vail, Colorado - January 2016
- Women Grow Denver Chapter Meeting – “Cannabis for PTSD” – November 2015
- Bloomberg BNA Conference on Marijuana in Colorado – “Marijuana in Colorado: Advanced Tax, Legal and Accounting Considerations,” – November 2015
- Medical Cannabis Summit – New York, NY - Featured Presenter - “Top Ten Issues for the Cannabis Investor” - October 2015
- Southwest Cannabis Conference and Expo, Phoenix, AZ – Moderator and Speaker – October, 2015
- National Cannabis Industry Association Conference, NYC – Panelist and Speaker – “Financing Your Marijuana Business,” “Corporate Governance” – September, 2015
- Los Angeles Cannabis Congress – Speaker, “Hemp” - September, 2015
- Hoban Law Group Client Regulatory Form, Denver – August, 2015
- Pagosa Verde Renewable Energy Symposium - Featured Presenter concerning Hemp 101 - Legal Landscapes - August, 2015
- National Cannabis Chamber of Commerce Indo Expo, Denver – “Hemp Movement,” – July, 2015
- Rocky Mountain Hemp Association Hemp Law Form, Denver – Moderator and Speaker, “The Murky Legality of Hemp” – July, 2015
- National Cannabis Industry Association Conference, Chicago – Featured Speaker – June, 2015
- World Cannabis Congress Conference, NYC – Featured Speaker – June, 2015
- CannaCosta Conference, Costa Rica – Featured Panelist and Speaker – June, 2015
- Chicago Cannabis Expo – Featured Speaker - May, 2015
- Tom Martino Troubleshooter Radio Show – Featured Guest re: MJ in Colorado – April, 2015
- Foxmoor Continuing Education Cannabis Summit – Featured Presenter concerning licensing and real estate as they relate to the marijuana industry in Colorado – March, 2015
- Young Professionals Organization – Guest Speaker – January, 2015
- Colorado Chapter of the Appraisal Institute - Featured Presenter concerning regulatory takings and the emerging marijuana industry in Colorado - August, 2014
- Pagosa Verde Renewable Energy Symposium - Featured Presenter concerning The Cannabis Question - Legal Landscapes - August, 2014
- CLE International Eminent Domain Annual Conference – Featured Presenter concerning marijuana and regulatory takings – August, 2013
- The Politics of Medical Marijuana – Denver University –2012
- Marijuana at the Crossroads – University of Denver Sturm College of Law – 2012
- Marijuana in the workplace – Denver University – MLA Program – 2011
- Eminent Domain Practice and Procedure – First Judicial District Bar Association CLE – 2010
- The Business of Marijuana – CLE – 2010
- Marijuana: Leases and Business Structure – CWA/WJEC – 2010
- Former Board Member, Evergreen Jazz Festival
- Board Member, Colorado Trail Foundation
- High School Mock Trial Competition Judge and Volunteer
- Collegiate and High School Basketball Official
- Colorado Property Rights Coalition, Co-Founder and Volunteer
- First Judicial District Bar Association (Former Trustee, Former Board of Governors Representative, Current Awards Committee Chairperson)
EXTENDED RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
- COLORADO 1st JUDICIAL DIST., HON. J.W. BERRYHILL: 2001-2002. Golden, CO. Law Clerk.
- U.S. DISTRICT COURT – WYOMING: Spring 2001. Cheyenne, WY. Intern.
- WYOMING ATTORNEY GENERAL: Fall 2000. Cheyenne, WY. Intern.
- COLLEGE OF LAW, PROF. ELAINE WELLE: 2000-2001. Laramie, WY. Research Assistant.
- WYOMING LEGAL RESEARCH SERVICES: May 2000-August 2001. Laramie, WY. Assistant Director.
- WYOMING LAW REVIEW: May 2000-May 2001. Laramie, WY. Author/Editor.
- NEW HAMPSHIRE STATE PUBLIC DEFENDER: Summer 2000. Concord, NH. Law Clerk.
- COLLEGE OF LAW, PROFESSOR JIM DWYER, PhD: May 1999-May 2000 Laramie, WY. Teaching and Research Assistant.
- WESTERN TRIAL ADVOCACY INSTITUTE: June-July 1999 Laramie, WY. Assistant to Director; Presenter.
Cornerstone Group XXII, L.L.C. v. Wheat Ridge Urban Renewal, — P.3d —-, WL 2291146 (Colo. App.)
Whalen v. Shepler, 104 P.3d 243, 244 (Colo.App. 2004)
Jack Akin and Carole Stepe v. Four Corners Encampment, et al., — P.3d —-, 2007 WL 1150450 (Colo.App. 2007), Court of Appeals No.: 05CA1228.
- Victim or the Crime: An Analysis of Hate Crime Legislation – 2000
- Vouchers Within Reason: A Child-Centered Approach to Education Reform – 2002
- “From New London to Telluride and Beyond: Legal Developments Surrounding Eminent Domain in Colorado from 2004-2009,” co-authored by Jessica Peck and Bob Hoban – 2009.
- “Colorado’s Emerging Medical Marijuana Legal Framework and Constitutional Rights,” Bob Hoban – 2011
- "Sprung from Night into the Sun: An Examination of Colorado's Marijuana Regulatory Framework Since Legalization," KY Journal of Natural Resources Law - 2015
- U.S. District Court, Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Wyoming
- U. S. Bankruptcy Court, Colorado
- U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
MEMBERSHIP AND ADVISORY BOARDS
- First Judicial District Bar Association: Board of Trustees, Board of Governors
- Colorado Bar Association: Board of Governors
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Cannabis Chamber of Commerce
- National Cannabis Industry Association - 2017 Board of Directors Nominee
- National Cannabis Chamber of Commerce
- National Hemp Association
- Hemp Industries Association
- Colorado Hemp Industries Association
- Athletes for Care: Board of Directors
- New Frontier Data: Advisory Board